Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Monday, September 30, 2013

Evans Escapades at Gettysburg



Pennsylvania Scenery
The drive over to our Thousand Trails Park near Gettysburg was lovely. . .
only an hour and a half from Hersey. . .so a wonderful, easy travel day!
Alpacas. . .Gettysburg Farm Thousand Trails - Outdoor Worldcrowing - Gettysburg Farm Thousand Trails - Outdoor World
more very healthy roosters and chickens at Gettysburg Farm Thousand Trails - Outdoor Worldgoat outside the pen. . .Gettysburg Farm Thousand Trails - Outdoor World
it’s called Gettysburg Farm ~ Outdoor World for a reason. . .
all these animals are on the premises. . .
you can even buy feed at the store and feed them yourselves. . .
the kiddos in the park love it!
Pennsylvania, Gettysburg PA (6) - Copy
now.. .to the reason for our stop. . .
Gettysburg National Military Park. . .
Pennsylvania, Gettysburg PA - Copy
the Visitor Center. . .privately ran by the Gettysburg Foundation
is really great. . .we highly recommend the all in one ticket. . .
all three for $12.50 pp. ..well worth it!

The four pics following are from the Cyclorama
which is a diorama or mural in the round. . .
you can move around the platform
as the action unfolds. . .

you don’t realize how many details
you are missing until they are spotlighted. . .
really, really great. . .
Pennsylvania, Gettysburg PA (1) - Copy
Pennsylvania, Gettysburg PA (2) - Copy
Pennsylvania, Gettysburg PA (3) - Copy
Pennsylvania, Gettysburg PA (4) - Copy
you really need to see it all in person to get the full effect. . .
Fall ColorFall Color
on Wednesday we wanted to continue touring the Gettysburg Battleground
following our Auto Tour CD we had purchased in the bookstore. . .
but alas. . .as we all know. . .all the National Parks are closed down. . .

so instead we enjoyed a scenic drive in the countryside. . .
checked out the fall colors and


the most historic covered bridge in Pennsylvania. . .nice!

Snake?

as I was walking along a trail for a better vantage point of the bridge. . .
this charming little creature crossed my path. . .
I’m told it’s a garter snake. . .I was rather proud of myself
for not going into the screaming banshee
that I normally do. . .but he was real little. . .
and just went off into the woods minding his own business. . .
that’s the way I like it!
Apple Orchards
the apple orchards are loaded. . .
Round Barn - Apple Orchard and Farm StandFresh from the Orchard - Apple Orchards
and the farm stands are just loaded with apples and pumpkins. . .
had to have a few. . .which I promptly turned into baked turnovers. . .delicious!

‘til next time,
Janice and Dave

Gettysburg Album

10 comments:

  1. I made some tasty applesauce with a few local apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to try my hand at apple butter the other day instead of paying $3.50 for a little jar. . .really simple in the crockpot. . .but I started with store bought applesauce. . .would love to make my own. . .

      did you just cook your apples down with a little sugar and then mash?

      Delete
  2. I am so embarrassed to say that we have been clear up the West coast and have not been to Gettysburg. I love history too! I told Paul we must get up to the NE states!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will love all of it. . .very pretty area. . .I normally dread all the battlefields. . .so traumatizing. . .but Gettysburg is very sterile. . .so far, so good! A lot of lives lost here though. . .

      Delete
  3. Gettysburg battlefield is one of those places that deeply effects me every time I visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find all the forts and the battlefields very solemn. Gettysburg has not been as heart wrenching YET as Shiloh TN where there were mass graves. . .HOWEVER. . .we have not been to the National Cemetery. . .plan to do that on Monday. I'm sure that is going to do me in. . .

      Delete
  4. We really enjoyed our trip to Gettysburg that is featured on one of our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just started following your blog. . .will hafta check that out. . .would love to link it to this post if that is okay? ? ?

      Delete
  5. do I get to comment google? Or not? Gettysburg is a place I've never been able to bring myself to go to. It just seems so sad. War seems so useless and so tragic. I'm sorry you got caught in the shutdown too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cried and cried at Shiloh. . .so I have been just dreading Gettysburg, but wanted to go for David. It seemed very sterile and far removed. . .but. . .we did not make it to the National Cemetery before the shut down. . .so, I am sure when we return, that is going to be my undoing. . .so much history though. . .but just so many young men's lives lost!

      Delete