Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Little Rock. . .and the Arkansas State House

Evans Escapades in Little Rock AR
Here we are. . .one more State Capital checked off the list. . .
Capital Doors created by Tiffanys - New YorkChandelier from Tiffany's
I was totally intrigued that Tiffany’s of New York
designed the doors and the chandeliers for the building. . .
they were just as beautiful as I anticipated them being.
Little Rock AR
In all of my research on Little Rock the fact kept arising about
the six bridges spanning the Arkansas River. . .
Arkansas, Little Rock AR, Clinton Presidential Library (10)
the bridges hold such significance that the
Clinton Presidential Library is designed to look like a bridge. . .
although I was interested in seeing the raccoon prints inside,
where evidently raccoons had a party during construction. . .
I didn’t really want to pay $7 each to do so. . .

I know lots of folks love museums and such. . .
but it’s just really not my thing. . .
so we did not tour the Presidential Library. . .
The Original Capital Building - Old State House
nor the Old State House Museum. . .
I’m sure both are fascinating. . .
and if you enjoy that sort of thing,
you should check them out.
River Market - Farmers Market
We did pay a visit to the Farmer’s Market at
the Little Rock River Market. . .forgot to get a pic
but came away with Arkansas tomatoes, fresh squash,
homemade peanut and pecan brittle. . .they were delicious. . .
and a cantaloupe.  I really wanted a watermelon. . .
but the logistics of carrying it back to the Jeep
did away with that notion.
Little Rock Street Car 
We rode the trolley all around town. . .one of our favorite things to do. . .

Central High School - First Desegregated School in Arkansas - see story on the Little Rock Nine
Central High School
After reading RV’ing friends Margery and Paul’s account of Central High School
on their blog. . .
and doing some further research  I knew I wanted to see the
place where such a historic event in our history took place. . .
but unlike Paul and Margery. . .I simply could not bring myself
to go through the visitor’s center
. . .Little Rock NineLittle Rock Nine
just reading the account online of what the Little Rock Nine endured
and to read each of their testamonials at the State House
almost brings me to tears. . .and makes me feel sick to my stomach. . .
I knew going through the visitor center would make me very, very upset. . .
I honor those brave young men and women for their strength in the face of adversity!
David and Janice at the Old Mill - Featured in the movie Gone With The Wind
Our last stop for the day was The Old Mill. . .
featured in a famous movie you may have heard of. . .
Gone With The Wind
Faux Bois (fake wood) sculpture created by Senor Dionicio Rodriguez - the Old Mill - Feature in the movie Gone With The WindFaux Bois (fake wood) sculpture created by Senor Dionicio Rodriguez - the Old Mill - Feature in the movie Gone With The Wind
footbridgeFaux Bois (fake wood) sculpture created by Senor Dionicio Rodriguez - the Old Mill - Feature in the movie Gone With The WindArkansas, Little Rock, The Old Mill, Gone With The Wind (2)
the artist in me was completely intrigued by the
fake wood sculptures surrounding the mill. . .
I will be looking for more of this artist’s work as we travel. . .

Our plan for today was to visit Pinnacle Mountain where I had read
that the views from the top were fabulous. . .
but given the 95* heat
we decided to forego any further outside activities. . .
leave a day early, and drive halfway to St Louis.. .
my only regret in leaving early is that Margery and Paul had
described the Whole Hog CafĂ©’s offerings so vividly. . .
I really wanted to try it. . .I guess that will hafta wait. . .

We have safely arrived at our midway point for the day.
I am really, really loving travel in the motor home. . .
Dave is so glad. . .I was such a bad traveler with the truck. . .
needing to stop all the time for this or that. . .now I can just go
back and get whatever it is I am wanting at the moment. . .
Dave calls me the wanderer. . .I love it!

Til next time,
Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment