Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Full Time RV Living–I am a Remodeler

We’ve been looking at Motor Homes, used motor homes. . .

It doesn’t matter to me what the inside looks like, as far as carpet color,
couch color, dining room chair covers, etc. . .’cause I’m probably going
to change it all anyway. . .and make it into my home. . .my way!

When we were looking at the fifth wheel we’ve lived in for the past nine years,
one of my comments about the bedroom was. . .something will need to be done in here. . .
and it was, almost immediately. . .even though the rig had never been lived in.

I take that back. . .the very first thing I did, was take out the lazy susan under the sink,
in order to have a place for the trash can. . .

Trust me. . .unless you do some gaudy, theme based, horrendous remodel. . .
you are seriously NOT going to affect the value. . .believe me, it depreciated
considerably when you hooked it up, and pulled off the lot. . .unlike real estate used to be,
these things are most certainly NOT an appreciating asset.

Now, I’ve never painted the inside of one. . .although I’m certainly considering it.
Most everything I’ve ever done could be undone if need be. . .

Here’s a great article with more ideas and tips for updating or remodeling. . .
it’s called Remodeling Used Class A Motor Homes. . .but these tips could certainly
be applied to any type RV. . .

Send me a note, and let me know what type of updates and remodels you’ve done. . .
Janice 

11 comments:

  1. From reading our blog, you know we have made several changes like removing one sofa and putting in drawers, leather recliner and a desk area.
    If you are in the market for a great MH, ours is for sale. You can check it out here
    https://picasaweb.google.com/101247343283747606869/MotorHomeInside?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNej1ILQj7_TkgE&feat=directlink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out all the pics. . .I so wish we were ready to purchase right this minute. . .it's gorgeous. . .and I know you guys did all the maintenance. Unfortunately. . .we retired way too young, ha ha, to touch any of our retirement funds. Still gotta wait three more years. I know it will fly by, but it seems ages away at the moment!

      Do you mind if I post your link on my RV FaceBook page? I have almost 800 subscribers. . .no telling who might be looking for a great motorhome. . .perhaps a link to your blog might be better? Just let me know. . .

      Delete
    2. Wow, that's a GORGEOUS motorhome. I wish we were ready to purchase another

      Delete
  2. We are in the midst of remodeling/redecorating our fifth wheel after living in it for 5 months... paint, window treatments, cushion/couch recovering... I'm going to post and before and after on my blog when it's done (or mostly done)... it has been fun and it's way more "us" now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see all the pics Teri. . .please send me a link when you get them posted. . .EvansEscapades@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. We have posted them! http://www.flipflopvector.com/2012/10/the-reveal-of-redo.html!

      Delete
    3. Love the look. ..surprised by the number of comments on your post stating that they had no idea they could paint. . .I think most anything can be painted. . .it's mostly a matter of correct prep, and using the right paint. . .yours looks like a home now. . .so much better!

      Delete
  3. First thing we did in a brand new 5th wheel was take out the hideous wallpaper border and curtains! As a full time faux finisher, trust me, there is NO surface that can't be transformed by paint! The proper prep and away you go! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your website. . .you have some gorgeous designs on there. . .

      I've faux painted my share of projects. . .and have taken several classes at Faux Effects in Houston.

      Hubby gets a little freaked out when I start talking about painting. . .knowing he's fixin' to get roped into "work." ha ha, so I've left it alone, and mostly used fabric to decorate.

      As a painter, and artist. . .you certainly understand the "need" to make it your own!

      Delete
  4. Hi Janice: This isn't related to the above blog, but I wanted to let you know we are now following you. We are the "Wild Ride" folks. I am enjoying your site and look forward to more reading. I am having trouble figuring out where to post the general comments so please forgive me for posting this here.

    Lynda Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posting here is fine Lynda. . .thanks for following. . .look forward to hearing more from you in the future. . .

      Delete