Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Friday, September 28, 2012

Full Time RV Maintenance–The RV Stove. . .Again!

Yesterday. . .I was in one of THOSE moods. . .a CLEANING MOOD!
They don’t strike very often. . .but when they do. . .watch out. . .LOL!

Because I rarely EVER use the RV Stove (I hate it!). . .
I was contemplating setting my countertop toaster oven on top of it,
so. . .I decided that it need a really good scrubbing before I did that.

It wasn’t that I really thought it was that dirty. . .after all, I rarely use it. . .
and I wipe it down. . .even lift the lid and wipe down under. . .
but if it was going to serve as a storage space, it should be really, really clean. . .
right. . .so I took it apart. . .well, just the top portion. . .not the whole thing.

Who designed this thing?  What were they thinking. . .
not a new thought for me. . .I think that almost every time I use the crazy thing. . .
but really. . .as I removed the screw, and pulled out the burner. . .
there are all sorts of little crevices and indentions under there. . .
and guess what?  Each one was filled with grease and stuff. . .yuck!

Go check yours out. . .I bet it’s the same. . .so even though you take the
top off, and wipe around under there. . .you can’t get to some of those places.

Hmmm. . .what to do, what to do?  Pulling it out, and replacing it with a
sealed burner unit would be my first option. . .however. . .
that’s not gonna happen. . .at least not right now.

I’m still thinking of solutions. . .there has to be a way to prevent stuff
from falling through, and causing issues. . .

Is it just me. . .are you able to keep your RV stove absolutely spotless? 
If so, would you please share. . .

Just sayin’
Janice

Addendum: I decided adding a couple of pics would be interesting, so here they are:


Once I had all the burners out, and everything scrubbed spic and span,
I decided a coat of paint might help.  Since what I had on hand was a  can
of Rustoleum Hammered Aluminum, that is what I used. . . 
perhaps it will be a little easier to wipe down, now that it's no longer
the dull flat aluminum like the burners. . .we'll see. 


This is my temporary solution to cover the holes around the burners. . .
miniature pie pans that I normally use to make small cobblers and such. . .
I'll need to look for something else to use, as I can't really sacrifice these. . .
but they'll do for the interim.



and here is the toaster oven on top of the stove. . .
one of our better investments. . .it cooks great. . .
I can make homemade bread again. . .
and it doesn't heat up the entire place like the RV oven does. . .

We'll see how it goes!



9 comments:

  1. No spotless stove here. I rarely use mine also, but somehow it gets dirty. Since we have the MH for sale, I take the covers off and make sure it is clean each week. What a thankless job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grrrr. . .you are so right Marsha. . .an absolutely thankless job. . .still better than cooking over an open fire though. . .right? LOL. . .

      Delete
  2. My new RV doesn't have one of those 'bad boys' in it. (all my previous RVs did) I ordered only the Convection/Microwave (which I love!) leaving me with 3 more drawers of extra storage. I feel your pain Janice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Evada. . .I keep saying if my microwave dies, I'll replace it with a Convection/Microwave combo. . .can't quite justify the $600 expense when I don't have to though.

      I finally broke down and got the toaster oven, because Terri on Gypsy Journal kept raving about how great hers baked bread. . .and then when we got to Colorado, Donna had one. . .and loved it. I hafta say for a $100 investment. . .it's great!

      I'm thinking if the motor home doesn't come with what I want, then I'm going to have it installed. . .I love that two burner sealed electric cook top. . .not the glass one. . .just the two flat steel burners, with nowhere for stuff to fall through. . .

      Delete
  3. Not spotless because we definitely use our stovetop. Since I've discovered the joys of the convection oven option on the microwave, the actual oven has been used less lately. That will probably change during Winter, though, as the oven helps to heat the rig. Here in Jersey, that's not a bad thing in the Winter! Don't get me wrong; we stay comfortable in our rig with the furnace and fireplace, even in single-digit temperatures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is easier to use it in the winter to fix a pan of biscuits and warm things up a bit. . .but single digits. . .YIKES!

      Delete
  4. Nature-Zyme multi-purpose cleaner will do the trick. It is chemical free, just spray it on and let the enzymes do it all. The enzymes break down all organic wast, dirt, scum, grease and oil. All Nature-Zyme products ship for free. Find it on MyRVMarket.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of those devils too. For one thing the rear burners are too close to the back to use anything but a small sauce pan. My real problem is that the pilot light in the oven blows out as soon as the oven reaches operating temperature. Had it back to the dealer several times, no luck. Anyone else have that problem? Right now, it's only function is a little extra storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely gave up on mine. . .and use it for storage. . .although mine seems to work correctly. . .the burners just don't seem to heat up to the correct cooking temps. . .Hubby says the oven problems seems like a thermostat. . .but surely, they checked that at the shop. . .although, I wouldn't count on it.

      We've had more luck with those Mobile RV Techs. . .they are in business for themselves, so they seem to care more, and do a better job than the shop techs. . .good luck!

      Delete