Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Full Time RV Living–Being prepared for the unexpected

Three things have happened this week that have served as reminders to update my files.

First, a few hours after we left an RV Park in Louisa, VA. . .a couple we had met there sent an email to say that the fifth wheel at the end of our row had caught fire. . .and that by the time the fire department was through, she was sure their rig was a total loss. . .they were home and everyone got out safely, but still. . .their lives are going to be a mess for a while. . .especially if they were full timers.

So I’m thinking, how far are they from home?   Do they have their paperwork in order, or has it all been destroyed in the fire?  Did they not have a fire extinguisher on board, or did the fire just spread so rapidly, all they could do was get themselves out of the rig? 

When you hear of things like this, it reminds you again, how the events that happen in a moments time can change lives.

and then, the writers of two different RV Blogs that I read everyday wrote about losing friends. . .

One to cancer. . .and another to a freak accident while whitewater rafting.  The husband stated how thankful he was that his wife had taken the time to get things in order before she was so tragically taken from him.

Reading these things prompted me to follow through on the promise I have been making to myself for weeks to make sure our files are in order.

The first thing you need, in my opinion, is a fire proof/ water proof safe. . .especially if you live in your RV fulltime, and have all of your files with you. 

In this safe you should keep:

Birth Certificates

Passports

Life Insurance Information

Vehicle Titles

A backup copy of all the files on your computer. . .(I still need to do this one.)

and your WILL, your living will, and your medical directives. . .with instructions for your executor. . .

If you don’t have a will. . .at least do handwritten instructions and have them notarized.  Unless your estate is very, very complicated. . .this should suffice in a pinch. . .however, you should have a will drawn up just to save unnecessary grief.

Sorry to be so morbid today, but all of this has been on my mind. . .so I decided I would share my thoughts.  I started putting together a packet with instructions in case of some incident when we would go on a cruise. 

My brother in law is listed as the executor of our estate (such as it is). . .and I would always tell him. . .our “death packet” is in this drawer or wherever it happened to be.  We always had a chuckle over it. . .but really, if something happens to you when you are RV’ing far from home, it would be good for someone to know your wishes.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten things that are important to others. . .if you have any thoughts please share them by leaving a comment. . .it may be helpful to someone else. . .

Safe travels,

Janice



P.S. A friend sent me this article which I very highly recommend that you read.

Organize your family's essential information in case of an emergency

My mom had a minor stroke last week and was unable to speak. (She's fine now, thank God.) But when it happened, we had no idea where her "stuff" was - her insurance info, her bank accounts, even the location of the keys ...

Publish Date: 06/04/2007 14:00

http://lifehacker.com/264969/organize-your-familys-essential-information-in-case-of-an-emergency




From Blogger Pictures
Dave and I have lived in our RV Full Time since 2003, when we sold the house and everything in it, and have traveled fulltime since 2009. Follow our tales by signing up to follow our blog, and check back often as we share the tips and tricks of living the lifestyle.

Connect with us on our FACEBOOK Ready To Go Full Time RVing Page. . .where you’ll meet lots of other RV’ers just like you. . .traveling and enjoying this great adventure.

If you would like to receive our blog updates, just enter your email below.

As a bonus, you will receive a link to our Seasonal Job Listings Page, and a follow up email linking to a sample copy of our personal Seasonal Jobs Resume.

We respect your privacy, and never share your email address


6 comments:

  1. Good suggestions Janice. My dilema is, do we place all this in a small fire safe, under the bed or stored in a "hidden spot", which would be difficult to reach in a fire emergency, but safe during travels & when we are out of the rig ....or.... is a bail-out bag a even better solution? A backpack which is easily grabbed on the way out the door in a fire or other emergency?

    I also have scanned my VIP documents an have them stored online, but is that a good solution at all? Escapees used to list a vendor that had a software program installed on a thumb drive so that you can load your medical information for that any doctor or ER room to access in a medical emergency.

    My dilema is .... WHERE to store it in the RV?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace. . .these are really good questions. I've just always thought that I will trust the safe, and not worry about trying to rescue it. . . the scenario in my mind always involves having to rush out in the middle of the night. . .and worrying that I grab my robe.

    I would love to hear from someone who has used one of these safes, and if it did the job it says it will. . .I guess it's a personal decision as to whether a bail out bag is a better choice for you.

    I'm going to assume anything on the computer is going to be lost. . .so a back up of all that info is vital.. . IMO. . .

    I love the idea of putting medical records on a thumb drive. . .I wonder if that would work for a new doctor. . .so I don't have to write down all those meds. . and surgeries. I'm gonna do that one. . .thanks. . .

    As you research this further, please share any additional findings. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it is important to be prepared for the unexpected. My husband and I are not yet fulltimers, just go
    on the weekends. I recently lost a good friend she was a homemaker and her husband worked and she
    took care of all of the bills online. When she passed her husband had no idea how to pay the bills online
    when they were due or even how to get to the website to check. Another on of our friends show us a book
    that they put together will a copy of the electric, water, house payment and other bill in it along with websites
    usernames and passwords so that if something suddenly happened to one of them the other would have the
    information. I thought this was a great idea and have started putting together a 3ring notebook with this info
    in it.

    It may be a good idea to have 2 safes one with you and one with your executor with the same info in it.
    Enjoy reading your blog and dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the will, the healthcare info etc in a portable file by the door, but I'm thinking thumbdrive would be so much better. Will be watching this for a while for other ideas.

    Not morbid, just practical. Thanks for broaching the topic! We need to learn, to think, to prepare and even then--revise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, it's great to hear from you. . .I'm glad you are enjoying the blog.

    You know, I was thinking the same thing, that maybe we needed a safe deposit box that the executor has immediate access to with at least copies of all the pertinent information. . .in case something happened while we are way off somewhere. . .I will definitely be giving it some more thought. . .

    Keep dreaming. . .never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Heidi. . .I'm thinking the thumb drive idea is a good one also. . .maybe even scan pertinent documents onto one. . .it's amazing the places your mind can go when you really stop to think what your loved ones would need to deal with if anything happened. . .I'm always thinking, thinking, thinking. . .drives my poor hubby crazy!

    ReplyDelete