Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Friday, January 6, 2012

Full Time RV Living– Where Did All The Space Go?

I just read the funniest blog post entitled My Stuff vs Her Stuff. . .it was an absolute riot. . .

and you gotta go read it for the rest of this story to make sense.

anne stuff

 

Roger's Law
Roger's Law

 

"Lynn Roger's Law of Inner RV Space" by Anne Harris,
which first appeared in the March/April 1987 Escapees RV Club Newsletter.
Lynn is a long-time Escapee (SKP #2) who gave seminars at Escapade Rallies.

 

We’ve been researching motor homes. . .and I’ve come to the conclusion that the layout is the most important thing. . .

it’s gotta feel like home. . .but hey, storage ranks right up there at the top of the list.

 

Now hubby and I each got stuff. . .and since we don't have an off site storage anywhere. . .it's all right here with us. . .although I admit. . .I probably got more stuff. . .but I’m generous. . .I share it all with him. . .so as we are surveying the different motorhomes that we’ve been looking at. . .I find myself sitting down. . .usually at the kitchen table. . .and saying. . .okay, where is this or that going to go? Hmmmm. . . and I’ve already decided. . .at least one entire storage compartment outside is going to be all mine! 

So here’s the question?

Who has more stuff at your place?

What kind of stuff?

Do you use all of it? 

I got so tickled at the blog story, when he said, she takes stuff to Goodwill. . .and then brings stuff back. . .that’s what I tell them when I go in. . .I’m making a donation at the back door. . .so I can take some stuff out the front door. . .right? 

Leave a comment, and share your stories about how you keep all the stuff organized. . .

From Blogger Pictures

Dave and I have lived in our RV Full Time since 2003, when we sold the house and everything in it, and have traveled fulltime since 2009. Follow our tales by signing up to follow our blog, and check back often as we share the tips and tricks of living the lifestyle. Connect with us on our FACEBOOK Ready To Go Full Time RVing Page. . .where you’ll meet lots of other RV’ers just like you. . .traveling and enjoying this great adventure. If you would like to receive our blog updates, just enter your email below. As a bonus, you will receive a link to our Seasonal Job Listings Page, and a follow up email linking to a sample copy of our personal Seasonal Jobs Resume. We respect your privacy, and never share your email address

8 comments:

  1. We recently traded our 2006 Grand Junction for a new 2011 Keystone Alpine. Same size but newer - how different could it be? I wanted a larger refrigerator and didn't want to step DOWN into the bathroom during the middle of the night so trading up seemed like the thing to do - right? WRONG...Even though we had lived in our old unit for over a year, I had my blinders on and went in search of the large refrigerator and a level bathroom. I didn't do what you said - sit and think about where to put the "STUFF"!!! I didn't raise the bed to look at the storage or open the cabinets and mentally place the pots and pots and can goods. When we pulled our old unit side by side to the new one I knew I was in trouble with the storage. I just didn't realize how much storage we had in the old unit until I had to fit it in the new one. And it wasn't just my stuff - but he had all his stuff too. When blessed with another opportunity to trade UP, we will have a list of ALL the places needed to store the "STUFF" and not be wooed by the pretty new things. I won't say I love the new 5r, but I'm trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true!! When we first bought this Seneca motorhome, we had lots of space. Now we are busting at the seams! Gotta do some purging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We agree...layout is the most important. When we were looking for our MH, we had a mental list of musts and how we wanted the inside to look like. It took a while but we found it. We made some changes to meet our exact needs. Our model...one thing in, one think out. I, as a woman, am not use to buying a new piece of clothing and then taking one piece to Goodwill, but with the limited space that is exactly what I do. In fact, we are going through the basement today and purging what we haven't used for the last two years. Good luck with your search for the perfect RV for your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh Mollie. . .this lifestyle truly is a learning experience, isn't it? Now that you have your new home. . .just think outside the box for storage. . .I have nifty, and pretty wooden wine boxes hanging on the wall. We added compartments to each end of the island. Find a way to make use of each and every square inch, even if it means redesigning a cabinet. That's how we feel. . .it's our home. . .it all has to work.

    Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha, we made another run by PPL this last trip to Houston. . .we were just sure we had found the one. It looked great online. . .the layout would work for us. . .the decor doesn't really matter, 'cause I'm gonna change it all anyway. . .but alas. . .NOPE. . .just not it! Close though. . .it's all fun. . .we're just enjoying the process!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could speak intelligently to your questions. However, my mind is cluttered (no pun intended) with the thoughts of cleaning out the storage units that hold the "stuff" from our sticks and bricks home. We have enough space in our MH so I can't complain and we're making more space with roll out shelves, etc. I just need to talk with the kids and see if they have a small corner for some of my hobbies.

    It was so good talking with you and Dave the other evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vickie. . .you certainly do have your work cut out for you. . .I do not envy you that chore!

    We've purged the RV at least three times. . .last time we were at my Dad's we donated our telescope to our cousin. . .and a desk to his Mama.

    Now the problem is. . .everything is so organized in nifty little bins, and drawers that I hate to get rid of anything. . .I'm almost sure I'm gonna need some of that stuff someday! Ha Ha. . .but I could still get ruthless, and let go of the Dremel and a few other hobby tools that haven't seen the light of day in a couple of years. . .help me Lord!

    You guys run out here and visit us one afternoon. . .I'll make us some yummy meatball subs or something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic post on the subject. So glad you found my blog and I found yours. I've bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete