Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Evans Escapades: Conquering the Royal Gorge Bridge

In 1988 we took our boys on a
Colorado Rocky Mountain vacation
#105 On the bridge_thumb[2]
the Royal Gorge Bridge was one of our stops. . .
just about the time we got a third of the way out on the bridge,
a vehicle started over behind us. . .which caused the bridge to
feel like we were walking across a trampoline. . .hellooooo. . .
that was it for me. . .I headed back to solid ground,
while Dave and the boys, much braver than their Mom
headed on across. I have always regretted that decision. . .so. . .
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (140)_thumb[2]
24 years and lots of pounds later here we are. . .
I’m bound and determined to conquer my fear
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (143)_thumb[2]
and do just as this billboard says. . .Walk across this crazy hanging in the air
with no supports bridge. . .as it bounces and sways with every footstep. . .
I can do it. . .I can do it. . .I even gave myself the pep talk. . .
“Every day, hundreds of people and vehicles cross this bridge. . .
and you’ve yet to read a news report about a collapse.”
Right! . . .here we go. . .
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (28)_thumb[2]
all was going well until I discovered there is only
a fastener about every fourth plank. . .WHAT?
Are they crazy. . .every single board should be
screwed and bolted down. . .
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (29)_thumb[4]
then Dave took great delight in pointing out the cracks
that were big enough to lose a small child through. . .
with the Arkansas River roaring by a thousand feet below. . .
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (57)_thumb[3]
okay, okay. . .stop looking down. . .just keep your
head up and look forward. . .OH LORD! OH LORD!
not helping. . .good grief. . .
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (56)_thumb[1]
My son required proof that I actually made it. . .so I took
this pic of his Dad in the very center of the bridge. . .
seriously. . .I really took it!
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (30)_thumb[1]
and please. ..wouldn’t you love to hear the story
behind the need for this sign. . .really?
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (3)_thumb[1]
We finally made it all the way across. . .and was taking a break on one of the
restaurant patios with a great view of the bridge when I had this bright idea. . .
I told Dave. . .I’ll go back up on the bridge. . .and you take my pic. . .
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (39)_thumb[1]
THAT was going very well. . .until. . .
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (48)_thumb[1]
this stupid car came across behind me. . .too late to do anything but hold on and pray!
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (45)_thumb[1]
Dave laughing at my moment of sheer terror. . .thanks honey!
Royal Gorge Colorado 2012 (12)_thumb[1]
So glad to have conquered my fear. . .
will I ever walk across it again. . .NO!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I got weak knees just reading this post. I can say I will be able to do that. I know Paul will beg me to but I may freeze half way out there.
    Dave is so much like Paul. They take delight in the dummest things. Your holding on for life; he finds that amusing. Men are sick sometimes...hehe
    The pictures are wonderful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I went back and did it. . .Dave and Jon (my son) did not think I would follow through. . .I showed them. . .ha ha. . .and myself!

      Delete
  2. Okay, I have subscibed to the "new" blog. There has to be a story behind the move to blogspot. I would not have gotten on that bridge. My husband would have been jumping up and down to make it move.

    http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally went with a paid website because we were doing travel agent stuff, (several years ago) and blogger frowns on "business type" websites, or blogs. . .and then I went with WordPress to simplify the website building process. . .and because I also write ministry type lessons for Sunday School Teachers. . .kind of like a Sunday School Teacher's Lesson Book. . .for which I will be charging a fee. . .

      But it has began to get expensive. . .there seems to be a fee for every little thing. . .which over time now adds up to over $100 per month. . .so that is why I am switching everything back to Blogger. . .I love their platform. . .it's so easy. . .and there are so many venues available for marketing. . .so I can still write my ministry blog on Blogger, and send folks to various other links for marketing and sales purposes.

      It's amazing how time consuming switching everything over is though. . .

      Your hubby sounds like mine. . .tormentors. . .LOL!

      Delete
  3. Don't you feel proud of yourself for facing your fear? Good for you...congrats! I like the way you write...keep it up.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes Bobbie. . .I am sooooo glad I did it.

      Once it was over, and I could laugh at myself, it didn't seem near as horrible as I imagined. . .

      Thanks for your nice comment, I appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. You are far more braver than I am little grasshopper! I got sweaty palms just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but you gotta do it. . .it's a huge tourist attraction . .and one of the highest bridges in the world.

      It really is amazing. . .my fear of heights just overtakes me sometimes. . .but I'm glad I did it!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete