Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Full Time RV Cooking–Revamping Recipes to only Feed Two People

I have been working on all our favorite recipes,
and whittling them down to only
feed the two of us, with NO leftovers. . .

Not sure what happens at your place,
but here. . .I carefully store the leftovers
with every intention of being sure
they get used. . .and then before I know it. . .
ewwww. . .
I’m cleaning containers out of the fridge. . .again. . .

thus my quest. . .
NO LEFTOVERS

Here’s a successful adaption. . .
homemade biscuits from an episode of the
Martha Stewart show. . .
her recipe made about two dozen. . .
This adaption makes four
IMGP1531


1 cup self rising flour
1 teeny pinch baking SODA
1/2 stick unsalted butter cut into pieces

pulse this dry mix in the food processor until crumbly or do the same with a fork

mix in enough buttermilk to form a ball. . .

cut and bake in a greased baking dish
at 400* for about 15 - 20 min

10 comments:

  1. Oooo...they sound sooo good. I'm missing fresh biscuits on our new eating plan. :-( I think I'll add your recipe to my collection just in case. LOL
    I don't like to have vegetables leftover, but I still like main dishes that serve 4. Then I get a night of of cooking. I usually put a day or two between the first serve and the leftover night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to see other full timers think like us too, plus we are in the hill country right now, comfort, tx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha. . .I hear ya Margery. . .Dave really likes biscuits and gravy. . .me not so much, but I try to make it for him about once a month. . .and since, as you can imagine, it's not the healthiest thing in the world. . .hmmmm. . .it's good to limit the damage on several levels. . .shhhhh. . .he doesn't know!

    I do find it somewhat difficult to avoid leftovers with main course things like pork loin, or roast. . .or even roast chicken. . .but at least with those, I can chop up the leftovers, stick them in the freezer, and plan a pot pie, or some type of one dish casserole around them. . .so that's usually the plan.

    I've found the small steamer bags of veggies to be very helpful also. . .sounds like you guys are enjoying being back in travel mode. . .stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. Hopefully you'll collect lots of these scaled down versions into a cookbook. You never know, maybe you could sell it as an ebook :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well my goodness Nemo. . .you guys are practically within spittin' distance. . .since we are just out of Bandera. . .headin' out Monday morning for points North. . .

    Aren't the wildflowers just glorious? I subscribed to your blog. . .hopefully I'll see some Texas Hill Country Art?

    Safe travels,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha Candace. . .now that is a very valid thought. . .however, in order for it to happen would mean I would hafta FOCUS. . .not something I specialize in actually. . .wish I would though. . .thanks for the laugh. . .LOL! and the comment. . .it's a great life being retired. . .doin' whatever I want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do Martha's biscuits last longer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well. . .let's just say they didn't even have time to cool down. . .Gary! LOL. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting. Seems like when I PLAN to have leftovers to serve again, I go to the fridge and they have mysteriously disappeared. I've found that hiding half the roast before serving sometimes helps but not always. Of course the disappearing problem usually happens with things that are DH's favorites. The broccoli, not so much. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmmm. . .I can see where that could be a problem Colleen. . .just so you know. . .hiding them in the freezer works very, very well. . .just sayin'. . .LOL!

    ReplyDelete