Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Friday, July 15, 2011

Full Time RV Living & Travel - How do you ever get started?

We have friends who think they would like to do the same thing we are doing. . .sell everything, and live full time in an RV. . .however, they have never even traveled in an RV, never spent the night in an RV . . .have no idea what it is they might be getting themselves into.

So what if they sell their house, and everything they own, and then they hate it? What do they do then?

Those are the questions I keep asking them. My biggest encouragement to them is to rent a big, huge, humongous motorhome for a month. . .the kind you think you want to live in, and go try it out. Yes, yes, I know it's expensive. . .but I would rather see you pay $3000 to rent a super nice Class A Diesel Pusher for a month, and go live the experience, than to see you sell everything, thinking that's the only way you could ever afford to own one, and then be stuck.

What do you think?

I read this article this morning which is what brought this to mind:   How to Make Full Time RVing Work for You




From Blogger Pictures
Dave and I have lived in our RV Full Time since 2003, when we sold the house and everything in it, and have traveled fulltime since 2009. Follow our tales by signing up to follow our blog, and check back often as we share the tips and tricks of living the lifestyle.

Connect with us on our FACEBOOK Ready To Go Full Time RVing Page. . .where you’ll meet lots of other RV’ers just like you. . .traveling and enjoying this great adventure.

If you would like to receive our blog updates, just enter your email below.

As a bonus, you will receive a link to our Seasonal Job Listings Page, and a follow up email linking to a sample copy of our personal Seasonal Jobs Resume.

We respect your privacy, and never share your email address


4 comments:

  1. I think that is a wonderful idea. We were thinking of going full time, the problem is that my husband is disabled and has many doctor appts. so we need to work around those. But it is all do able. Then the other problem I have is that i want to be out on the road but i don't want to be a long distance Nanna. So we are doing it slowly we've got an '86 Travel Craft class c and we are going out for weeks at a time. Then hopefully next year we'll take it out on the road for a couple of months and ease into it. We both love the mh, we have a great time with it! Thank you for all your helpful hints and advice to those of us who are getting started. God bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Janice! We did buy a smaller motorhome first, before selling our houses. We had a 38 foot Challenger with three slides. When we got it, we were still working. We hit the road every weekend and every vacation and had months of "mini" trips before setting out full time. We realized it wasn't big enough for full timing the way the floor plan was and the space. But by traveling every weekend and on our vacations, we got plenty of chances to see what the lifestyle was like. From there, it was easy to make the decision. Biggest adjustment was me having been single for 20 years and finding my space to myself while we've been on the road. It's been over a year and we haven't regretted selling our homes, not even one least little regret! Living in the motorhome isn't hard, it's spending a LOT more time with your loved one in a smaller space that has been a little more of a challenge. It kind of magnifies the little things that might annoy each other, and you have to have a terrific partner who's flexible, understanding and mellow and it helps if he is your best friend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are giving wise advice. Chuckle. Don't tell them that I didn't even know the difference between RV and trailer. When I first drove one, it was pulling away from the lot after I bought it. I figured I'd seen the Old Geezers that drive them and I'm younger and I'm a woman so...why not? Still, I wonder what took me so long to finally do it! I'm 60 and living full-time. Couldn't be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well there's certainly nothing wrong with easing into it. . .and actually, I would say that's really what most RV'ers do. . .vacations when you are raising the kids. A weekend at the lake. . .a quick trip here or there. . .then back to the grindstone. . .but it gives you a chance to get your feet wet. . .so you don't have those Robin Williams experiences. . .ha ha!

    And really, even though we travel full time, we're only "gone from home" maybe three/four months max. . .I gotta make a pass through for some grandkid lovin', plus I like to check in on my Dad. . .then Dave works and travels within the state for a few months. . .then we head back out. It's all great. . .no matter how you go about it. . .and yes. . .personal, alone space is sometimes needed! : )

    ReplyDelete