Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Full Time RV Living–Routine Maintenance Means What to You?

Message:
living full time in my 36' fifth wheel now......thinking about staying
in it for retirement....just had some questions about routine
maintence?

 

I received the email above from a new RV’er. . .

thought they posed a great question. . .and wanted to get your thoughts.

 

Routine maintenance of course includes the daily cleaning you would do even in your house. . .

and then there’s the wash job the outside needs ever so often. . .

washing the bugs off the front is an almost every trip chore!

 

We wax ours about once a year. . .yuck!

 

Empty the black tank once a week, and do a back flush. . .

that keeps the yuckies, and the smellies down. . .

 

Window washing and cleaning is constant, as is dusting. . .

there’s no end to the dusting. . .where does it all come from?

 

I keep most routine maintenance chores listed on my Google Calendar,

so the reminders pop up as needed. . .

 

Not really a maintenance issue. . .but keep a Travel Journal. . .

I also do this on my Google Calendar. . .

sure makes it nice when you want to remember where you were and when! 

Wish I would have started this at the beginning of our travels. . .

I’m slowly going back and adding in all our trips. . .

 

I’m sure there are tons more tips. . .what do you think. . .any ideas to add?

 

Hubby checks the batteries, and adds distilled water on a regular basis. . .

every three months or so. . .same with the hot water heater. . .

you gotta clean it out, or it will fill up with gunk.

 

Add bug screens to your furnace and hot water heater vents. . .

they are cheap, and will prevent dirt daubers from building a nest (we know this from experience.)

 

I’m sure there are tons more things that I’m not thinking of at the moment. . .

what would you recommend. . .any ideas?