Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Monday, November 7, 2011

Full Time RV Living-Making Life Easier-or I Don't Think I Can Live Without It!

I loved this article – Ten Things That Make My Life In An RV Easier and I agreed with the premise of most of them. . .which made me think. . .

What are some things I consider absolute necessities?  Hmmmm. . .

ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER

Pressure Cooker

an absolute necessity. . . especially if you plan to cook beans, rice, or pasta at altitude.  Ya can’t get water to boil up there. . .

but I use it even for everyday cooking.  It makes an awesome deep fryer (without the pressure portion of course.)

I excel in one pot meals, so I use it for that. . .often!

It’s just one of those things I’m glad I discovered. . .this is by RIVAL. . .and I found it at Big Lots for about $57. . .something like that.

INDUCTION BURNER

Induction Burner

A glorified, and expensive hot plate, that requires pots, pans, and skillets that a magnet will stick to the bottom of, but I love it because, the pan heats up immediately. . .to a specified temperature that you can set. . .the burner itself does NOT get hot. . .I can use it inside or outside. . .and because I hate my RV stove, I can cook on it almost exclusively.

Induction Burners love, love, love cast iron, and I have a small round cast iron griddle to grill steaks on. . .fabulous combination.  I would love to have more cast iron to use on it. . .but alas. . .the weight. . .so. . .only the griddle. (sigh!)

LOCK N LOCK CONTAINERS

Lock n Lock Containers

In my opinion, the ultimate in storage containers. . .they have a seal that prevents leakage, so they are fantastic for storing saucy items in the fridge. . .nothing’s gonna splash out!

Sometimes I can find them at Walmart, but lately I seem to have better luck finding them at those specialty Kitchen Stores in the outlet mall. . .you know which ones I mean!

Our gate guard friends have been writing about having a mouse invasion. . .they, the mice, especially love their doritos. . .as you can see, what’s left of my doritos are safely ensconced in plastic. . .not that I’m doing it to keep them from the mice. . .but just in case!  Our nemesis seems to be sugar ants. . .sometimes they pop up everywhere. . .keeps them out too!

I can’t think of any other “can’t live without” items at the moment. . .but I’m sure as soon as I push the send button, I’ll remember several more. . .

What are your “I can’t be without them” items. . .everyone’s list is different. . .so please share!

We always appreciate you sharing our blog with other RV'ers. . .so if you enjoyed this article, please pass it along. . .









From Blogger Pictures

Dave and I have lived in our RV Full Time since 2003, when we sold the house and everything in it, and have traveled fulltime since 2009. Follow our tales by signing up to follow our blog, and check back often as we share the tips and tricks of living the lifestyle.

Connect with us on our FACEBOOK Ready To Go Full Time RVing Page. . .where you’ll meet lots of other RV’ers just like you. . .traveling and enjoying this great adventure.

If you would like to receive our blog updates, just enter your email below.

As a bonus, you will receive a link to our Seasonal Job Listings Page, and a follow up email linking to a sample copy of our personal Seasonal Jobs Resume.

We respect your privacy, and never share your email address

 

10 comments:

  1. If water wont boil at altitude, then does that mean a slow cooker wont work? I have never heard of a Induction Burner, will check into that.
    Thanks for the infro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Induction burners are wonderful! If you want to buy one, check out the store Tuesday Morning. They have them in stock sometimes and they are FAR cheaper than buying one at an RV show! Plastic storage containers are a MUST! That's about the only thing I can't live without in the motorhome. That and the type of hangars that hold multiple shirts and pants vertically instead of single hangars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, I don't remember if we used our slow cooker. . .I just remember cooking a pot of beans ALL day, and they were still crunchy. . .my friend Karen at FabGrandma.com, who works at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon every summer, is the one who told me I needed a pressure cooker.

    I'm sure others have more experience cooking at altitude, and probably know the answer, so hopefully they'll chime in with some info. . .everything seems to take longer to cook.

    I'm sure spending next summer at 8500 ft in Rocky Mountain National Park will give us the full cooking at altitude education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanie. . .I always forget about Tuesday Morning. . .and that was one of my very favorite stores when I was a working girl. . .and had a craft shed. They have the most fabulous florals. . .no room for all that now. . .(sad!)

    Dave loves the multiples hangars for his pants. . .very efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of the induction burner either but a hot plate is on my need list now I will look at the induction burner! I couldn't live without my crock pot or space heater!! I love throwing something in the crockpot going out for the day to explore and coming home to something yummy. We have lived in our rv for a year now and loving it! How high up before altitude becomes an issue we are at 4550 now? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were in Chama, NM which is at an elevation of about 7850, when we had the crunchy beans drama. . .LOL. . .not sure when the altitude effects start kicking in. . .that will be interesting to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog and such good information. A few of us had considered full timing, especially with this economy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia. ..thanks for reading our blog. . .we are glad you are enjoying it. If we can ever answer questions about full timing. . .dont' hesitate to ask. . .

    janicelevans1015@gmail.com or if you are on facebook. ..
    http://www.FaceBook.com/ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there,
    I just stumbled across your site, because my husband and I and our three children, are going to move out of a rent house, and into a 39 ft fifth wheel next month. We are attempting to save money to buy land and build a house of our own in a few years. I need all the help and advice I can get about living in an fifth wheel full time, and I will be homeschooling our kids in it as well. Any major tips or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheryl, we are happy you found us. . .thank you!

    On our blog, we mostly discuss travel issues, and trauma/dramas that we encounter, including, but not limited to the wonderful, but sometimes frustrating problems that come up when your "home" is rolling down the highway at 60 mph. . .bouncing all your worldly goods around. . .with tips and tricks to deal with it.

    For you, as a full time, home schooling family, I very highly recommend http://fulltimefamilies.com/

    We met this young couple in Conroe TX at a Thousand Trails Park. They are traveling with and homeschooling four children. . .and definitely making it work. Check out their website, and make contact with them. . .I know they will have some great answers and solutions for you.

    Please come back and visit us often, and keep us posted on your journey. . .wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete