Living full time in our motor home allows us to be Ready To Go. . .on to the next adventure!

Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco Skyline as seen from the Marin Headlands - California

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Ready To Go Full Time RVing-How do you find a full timer rig?

This was such a great question, that I thought I would share IT. . .and my answer. . .as my blog post today. . .leave a comment, and tell me your opinion. . .

We are looking to buy a 350 or 3500 4x4 truck and 5th wheel for fulltiming. I have been reading blogs and sites like IRV2 and can never find anyone to give direct advice. My question to you is, if you went today to buy a truck and 5er, what would you buy? I read where you said that the 5er you got was on your list and you knew it was of good quality. I have no way of knowing which ones are good quality. I would love to have your thoughts on this as you have been there and dont that. Thanks so much.

First off, let me say, thanks for reading our blog. . .and second off, let me say that as a FEMALE, anything I may tell you should be verified. . .ha ha. . .and you may be sorry you asked the question! : )  I ask hubby's opinion, but we've discussed all these issues so many times. . .he says exactly what I know he is going to say!

Now IMO, you should not pull anything longer than 30 feet with a 350 or 3500. . .yes I know it will pull it. . .that is not the question. . .will it STOP it?  and the second part of that discussion is. . .the insurance companies, at some point, are going to start cracking down. . .and if you are over your GCVWR and are in an accident. . .you probably are going to end up in court to get your claims covered. . .everytime we pass a truck weigh station, one of us will pose the question. . .How much longer before we hafta start pulling through those?


Next. . .if you are going to be a true Full Timer, as opposed to having a home to go back to, you need some space.  This is going to be your house. . .opposing slides in the living room are a necessity on our list. . .and at least one slide in the bedroom. . .a decent size shower that you can stand up and turn around in. . .full size closets, not shirt closets. . .and a pantry, or something that will serve as a pantry. 


Brands of full timer models. . .hard to say. . .so many have gone out of business. . .but Mobile Suites builds a beautiful rig, Montana (upper end only) are still building, I believe. . .we don't pay new prices for anything. . .but if you are going to, you may as well research the custom builders, and get exactly what you want.  You can find several listed in the back of Trailer Life Magazine


If you are searching for used, we liked Alfa, Hitchhiker, King of the Road, Newmar, wow, it's been so long ago. . .I'm kinda blank. . .I’m sure others can share choices in the comments section. . .

All rigs, including brand new, have their issues. . .it’s all part of the learning curve. . .so if you think you are going to buy a brand new one, and everything will be roses. . .think again. . .bouncing down the road at 60 mph shakes things loose. . .and some roads bounce more loose than others. . .plus rattle your teeth!

Hubby took a RV Inspection Class online from Mobile RV Academy. . .which taught him how to check out all the systems and look for problems.


I'll just throw this out there. . .we are currently in the process of purchasing a Class A Diesel Pusher. . .so our entire rig, 2002 Ford F550 Custom Thoroughbred RV Hauler, and 2003 Alfa Ideal 36 foot fifth wheel are going on the market. . .we're thinking our asking price will be about $52,000 for the entire package, and we will work from there.


If you are interested in more info. . .I will be happy to share all the particulars.  We always knew we would eventually go to a motor home. . .and it seems there are such great deals right now on used ones that the time is getting closer. . .


Wishing you all the best in your adventure. . .and please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.


Safe travels,

Janice and Dave Evans




From Blogger Pictures
Dave and I have lived in our RV Full Time since 2003, when we sold the house and everything in it, and have traveled fulltime since 2009. Follow our tales by signing up to follow our blog, and check back often as we share the tips and tricks of living the lifestyle.

Connect with us on our FACEBOOK Ready To Go Full Time RVing Page. . .where you’ll meet lots of other RV’ers just like you. . .traveling and enjoying this great adventure.

If you would like to receive our blog updates, just enter your email below.

As a bonus, you will receive a link to our Seasonal Job Listings Page, and a follow up email linking to a sample copy of our personal Seasonal Jobs Resume.

We respect your privacy, and never share your email address


7 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to know why you are moving up to a Class A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margery, our goal when we started out was to move up to a Class A within ten years, or at least by the time we turned 60. . .

    Two reasons, not having two levels like the fifth wheel does. . .and now that we are traveling and moving more, just the convenience and ease of having the potty available without leaving the vehicle. . .eats readily available without packing the cooler in the truck. . .and we are thinking that a toad might get better gas mileage for our day trips. . .

    The fifth wheel (our little condominium on wheels) has been so fantastic. . .especially when we were still working full time jobs. . .so homey, and comfortable. . .that we don't really consider it MOVING UP, just going a different direction. . . we are thinking that it is getting close to time for a change. . .we're putting it out there. . .we'll see what God's plans are!

    Enjoy your travels,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice,

    I enjoy your blog. I have a few comments for your new full-timer. First, don't think the rig must be "new." A well-maintained 10-year-old fiver can be had for a fraction of the cost of a new one. (The key phrase, of course, is "well-maintained.") You will desire to customize the rig, whether or not it's new, and it makes a LOT more sense to customize an older rig than a brand-spanking-new one.

    Next, tell your new full-timer that well-maintained, low mileage, 10-year-old Class A motorhomes can be located for very reasonable costs. I suppose we could argue the merits back-and-forth between full-timing in a motorhome vs a fiver ... there really is no clear advantage in either. Each has its positives and negatives.

    Be prepared for a major "letting go" of all the "stuff" you have accumulated. To realize that everything you own is stowed aboard the RV is, at first, a scarey thought -- but then you realize you never needed all that "stuff" in the first place.

    I live in a 32' motorhome with NO slides; however, I am single. If I had someone in the home with me, I'd definitely want some slides. I love the lifestyle; I don't miss anything I had in the traditional home--except the washer & dryer, and that only occasionally. You'll find some parks which have superb laundry facilities and, honestly, you can use those laundries to knock out two or three loads in just over an hour. But when I set up in other places, I certainly wish I had an onboard washer & dryer.

    I don't miss the dishwasher at all. The range-top cooks just fine, but I hate the little oven, which tends to burn everything on the bottom! (Unless you give it PLENTY OF TIME to preheat!) If my microwave ever decides to quit working, I'll definitely replace it with one of those convection-oven gadgets.

    I have 4 large and 4 small drawers in the galley; I use only 3 of the small drawers and 1 of the large ones--the rest are empty.

    I don't know how I would live full-time in the rig without the large wardrobes. I agree, those little "shirt-closets" are almost useless. I keep my laundry bag in one of the shirt-closets, and my tool box in the other.

    I bought a new fiver a few years ago, and got rid of it. Then, a year ago, bought a 25-year-old motorhome. Honestly, it seems I had just as much maintenance with the new fiver, as I have with the old motorhome. You'll need to understand that part of the lifestyle is spending a couple Saturdays a month "doing chores" (tightening hinges, fixing dripping water lines, weatherproofing). You'd be doing similar work in a traditional sticks-and-bricks home.

    The nicer thing about the old motorhome is I can fully customize it, without worrying about hurting its resale value. I'm in the process of installing new flooring, had new drapes made for the bedroom, etc., etc. I do enjoy the motorhome as much or more than I did the fifth wheel.

    Finally, don't get the idea that full-timing is about driving the rig down the highway every few days; folks who do that burn-out very quickly (and go broke buying gasoline). Full-timing is about parking the rig somewhere, for several weeks or a few months, and immersing yourself into the local culture, starting new friendships, and learning what you can about the area, before you move to the next location. Full-timing is similar to a "spiritual journey" -- learning to live closer to Nature and to God, and finding Grace in a simple lifestyle free from the responsibilities associated with all that former "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very well said William. . .I agree with ALL of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could not agree more! Thank you both for your imput. I am retired USAF and moved often for so long I just can`t be still to long. We plan to head north in the spring and south in the fall and I have seen so many good campgrounds that you guys have talked about and would enjoy a month at a time and smell the roses. I drove to Costa Rica 7 years ago and what I could put in a minivan is all I kept, everything else is already gone. I did build a house here but it will be sold with everything in it. It is hard to shop looking online, as I need to see and feel and bang around before I buy. We will be in Dallas for a few weeks during Thanksgiving and will see all I can while there and will have a better feel.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just traded our Class A Coachman for a 5th wheel, Brookstone 2012 and the difference is incomprehensible! I am still a little daunted by the hooking and unhooking, but it's getting better. I can't tell anyone the difference it makes to have all this room for living. We are full timers that work as gate guards for oil rigs. 24/7 means one of us is always on site, so we get very little time away. It was a God send to get this 5th wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi. . .thanks for reading our blog. . .I've been reading your blog also. . .you guys tickle me. I understand the trauma of hooking up. .that's the part I really dislike. . .probably because back in the day (when we were newbies) the latch was NOT closed. . .and we dropped the (much smaller) fifth wheel on our truck. . .HELLO! I'm okay with the unhooking.

    When we had a 30 ft with one slide, my MIL and I would hook it up and go wherever we chose. . .I admit to being a little intimidated by the much bigger rig. . .haven't taken it anywhere by myself. . .and rarely pull it. . . although I can, if need be.

    Hubby likes all that stuff. . .so heaven forbid I stand in his way. . .LOL!

    ReplyDelete